Thursday, October 8, 2009

For the Love of Netflix


I am so amazed at my ability to turn on a pointless sitcom and forget for a moment everything and anything that separates me from the mediocrity of my mid-life crisis.


For instance, I have recently blazed through Dead Like Me. Not only do I now know what it’s like to be trapped among the living, but I can also relate to having lived a pointless life that was taken much too soon. Instead of live hard and die young, it was more like a case of die young without living. Fate and frogs and souls and soup, ya aint gotta get it, but you do gotta dig it. How precious and priceless and perfect life is… “there’s no place like home, there’s no place like home, there’s no place like home.”


Then there was Weeds. Not the kind you pull from the cracks but the kind they call the gateway to crack. I think I liked the catchy ticky-tacky song as much as I liked the notion of my naïve neighbor turning to harmless hemp to salvage the mortgage and the survival of her fatherless sons. As a suburban sellout for a moment or two, I could really relate to the illusion that everything, after all, is really just the same. Can’t we all just get along. A soccer mom with a bag of seeds, hey it could happen. Right?


So if it seems that my choices in entertainment were aimless and unwise, well I quite literally got Lost. Actually I never quite got Lost. By my brother Justin raved and rampaged about how great this show was, so I burned through the first four seasons hoping to understand the attraction. Then I finally got the joke. Lost was about all the time I would never get back.


So, needing yet another vacation, I am now sitting at the doorstep of Californication. Never mind the gratuitous nudity, which I hope continues throughout the series, I like the notion of a lovelorn lyrical genius getting in touch with his love for his daughter. A story about a writer, how original. Showtime Original, that is. I don’t know if I love it or hate it, but I sure am laughing a lot.



Mental Blip: David Duchovny stars in Californication; this blog contains information about my perception of Californication as well as the series Lost; I watched an episode of the series Lost with my wife; Halle Berry was David Duchovny's wife in a movie that contained the word lost; I also watched Things Lost in the Fire with my wife. This is where the recollection disintegrates. I distinctly remember turning to my wife during the movie and saying something to the effect, “if Halle Berry took me back, I would so leave you for her.”




Unfortunately I was thinking out loud. I don’t remember what happened next, but I do remember waking up in a puddle of my own blood.


I think I am still in love with Halle Berry. Don't tell my wife.

3 comments:

Gloria said...

How could you not like "Lost"? What are you, some kind of heretic? I think every heterosexual male in the world wishes his wife looked like Halle Barry. Personally, I think Robyn Givens is way cooler than Halle Barry.(: Fun blog.

Anonymous said...

Oh my stars! I just can't imagine your loving wife reacting to you saying that about Halle. She's history...your Mrs. is your now and always! Myself? I have a girl crush on Jessica Alba...we don't talk. However, my husband knows about it, and I think he secretly likes it...???

Loved this one DaddyJo,

Anonymous said...

This one made me laugh at different parts. I think Dead Like Me is/was brilliant. Well, the episodes that I saw, anyways. Good read.