Tuesday, August 25, 2009

Homecoming

Why do people have children? 

Some people have children in an attempt at non-scientific cloning; yearning to relive all of their shattered hopes and dreams through the possibility of a brighter future as seen through the eyes of their children.

For others, children are merely the accidental byproduct of a moment’s passion. 

Some couples, perhaps, think that children are the well-planned reward of fiscal frugality and relational success.

And then, there are those of us that have a twinkle in our eye and a smile on our face whenever we think of our children.  For us, perhaps, the reason matters much less than the result.  “Woo hoo! Life is grand, we have children!” or so we say and think.

For me, I only know that I do have children.  The world is different. The grass is greener.  The sun is brighter.  Cookies taste better.

Everyday when I come home there is a child whose whole world lights up because I am in the world.  Wow! Tell me, how cool is that?!

It is only through the act of being a child and having a child that we are able to approach a full understanding of unconditional love!

Today my son and I shared a plate of spaghetti.  For the first time in his life he discovered the joy of slurping up a noodle.  With his tiny little fingers and his tiny little hands, he grabbed up noodles one by one.  AND HE SLURPED THEM.

All I have to do is think about ‘the slurping of noodles’ and I am smiling inside and out. 

That is why I have children, to remind myself that it is the simple things in life that are truly important.

Why do you have children?

2 comments:

Erica Miles said...

I like your little essay and I am smiling at the picture of a daddy watching his son slurp up his first noodle. I am also smiling because there will come a time in his life when slurping up noodles is no longer cute but obnoxious. Then you'll have to find other ways his existence makes you smile and it might be hard but it will be worth it.

Anonymous said...

Because I was bored...