Sunday, August 16, 2009

Rastafrican Kamaloha (Part I)




When I was seven, I used to spend the greater part of every Sunday being indoctrinated deep within the heart of the Christian faith. I can not say that it was something that I looked forward to, nor can I say that it was something that I dreaded. It simply was what it was...Sunday spent in a house of God; being told what to believe, how to believe, who to believe, and why.

I remember memorizing scriptures, singing hymns, trying to stay awake during sermons, and learning to keep any original thoughts and the numerous questions the experience induced to myself.

After all, what do you say to kid that asks “if God created everything, who created God?” Is it normal for a kid to ponder inconsistencies such as the concept that God loves you unconditionally and yet one should also be a "God fearing Christian?” 

So many irreconcilable differences emerged between what was being said and what actually seemed to make sense.  

One particular set of stories that I always struggled with was the whole Moses, slavery then exodus from Egypt, and the Ten Commandment’s. The Charlton Heston imagery set me on a philosophical whirlwind that I would not come to fully understand until I was an adult.How could someone (Moses) talk directly with God (the burning bush) and still find room to doubt and disobey? 

Moses was a spiritual man. He was the chosen one. And yet, he was also human. Although he was the deliverer, the Promised Land was never his to see.So what does his have to do with Rastafrican Kamaloha?

Well, I guess it has to do with discovering for yourself if you have ever been to the crossroads or how far you would be willing to go to have a spiritual experience.

Is everything somehow interconnected and interrelated? Or is everything random and does chance rule the universe?


Well hell, push me into shallow water before I get too deep. Rastafrican Kamaloha could very well just be a handful of coffee beans, roasted to perfection. To the untrained observer we will discover that that is precisely what Rastafrican Kamaloha is. For me anyhow...

Stay tuned for Part II...

1 comment:

Justin said...

When I was seven I remember spending the greater part of every Sunday in a union of dilapidated evangelicals called Universalists.
I received no guidance, no faith, and never had a spiritual moment. I did however, learn to make macarroni fish.